[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Mon Feb 19 00:32:51 UTC 2007

John G Walker writes:

>The purpose of the congestion charge is to reduce pollution in
>central London, and this it has done (or so my lungs tell me).
>It's got nothing to do with revenue.

I've noticed no difference, personally.

>But London is a special case, particularly since the introduction of
>the congestion charge has gone along with improvements in public
>transport.

No it hasn't. It might have gone along with an increase in funding,
but that hasn't resulted in any noticable difference in quality of
service that I've seen, and I use public transport every day to get
to work, as I have done for the last 14 years. I'm actually one of
those who believes that our public transport network (in London, at
least) is pretty good, and I'm not about to bash it. But I definitely
don't think it's got any better since the introduction of the congestion
charge, and indeed, I've seen it deteriorate in some areas.

Tet