[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Mon Feb 19 09:47:44 UTC 2007

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, Tethys wrote:

> >The purpose of the congestion charge is to reduce pollution in
> >central London, and this it has done (or so my lungs tell me).
> >It's got nothing to do with revenue.
>
> I've noticed no difference, personally.

Coming into London regularly from the green area just outside town my
experience is very much that pollution has not changed enormously.

Also it should be remembered that the causes of road pollution are
reducing anyway as cars become more efficient. Over the past 5-10 years
the amount of pollution pumped out by newer cars has reduced
significantly.

Where is the evidence to support the claim that an 8% reduction in the
number of private vehicles within the congestion charge zone has reduced
road congestion to a greater degree than the obvious n% during the
operating times?

How does it contrast with changes in air pollution in the areas near to
the congestion zone where the traffic has moved to?

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98