[Gllug] [OT] Fighting a virus

Peter Joanes pjoanes at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 16 13:45:44 UTC 2007

On Friday 16 February 2007 10:05, Chris Bell wrote:
> ... I have received the following forwarded message:
>
> If you drive a car, please read -

I sometimes drive a car, but fail to see why this would be irrelevant to
non-drivers; pedestrians and cyclists certainly have an interest in the
matter.

The quoted amounts listed for road charging are intended to cause outrage
among the many drivers that exhibit a strong sense of entitlement towards
their car usage. I cannot judge whether they are disproportionate though,
because I haven't seen any sufficiently detailed evaluation of the negative
effects of current volumes of road transport.

That said, I don't like the road charging scheme because of the tracking
aspect. Instead I'd rather see a very significant increase in fuel tax and
greater use of pedestrianization, although I doubt that the signatories to
the petition would view those as acceptable alternatives.

-	Pete.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk