[Gllug] Job Advert

paul at ma1.se paul at ma1.se
Thu Feb 8 14:21:23 UTC 2007

Iain Gray wrote:
> No, all comments seemed well intentioned enough and you are absolutely
> right about exposing oneself to the extremely strict employment laws.
>
> The thing is - what I'd really like to say is:
> "Hey anyone will do - just be a bit competent"
>
> After weeks and weeks of rejecting candidates sent by agencies I put
> together 3 questions that I wanted the agency to ask the candidate and
> then if they got 2 right then I would be interested in telephone
> interviewing the candidate. Obviously they also had to have some shell
> scripting and some PL/SQL.
>
> According to 3 BIG agencies in London, after 4 weeks and over 100
> candidates, none of them have got 2 out of 3 on these questions.
>
> Here they are. See if you can pass this most fiendish of tests:
>
> 1. What port does DNS run on and what protocol does it use?
> 2. How do you find out the capacity and percentage in use of all
> filesystems mounted?
> 3. How do you find out the disk usage of a directory?
>
> Sigh

Hey I got those right. Now I know who to tap for a job!

I used to like agency phone "test" or phone "interviews." If you have a
hands free phone there is the possibility of googling at the same time ;o)

I only got 9/10 in my last phone test did a while back. I failed on the
"what command would you use to set the speed/duplex of an ethernet
connection" (or something to that effect) and old fashioned me answered
miitool and the agency only had ethertool written down, though I suppose
that is technically more correct now).

regards

Paul Lee
www.ma1.se