[Gllug] Job Advert

Iain Gray iain.dv at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 8 14:26:44 UTC 2007

Now you can see how desparate I am becoming!!

I think the problem is that anyone with Oracle exposure gets some
accreditaion and then they are lured away to the big companies that
pay lots and use big enterprise solutions and they never see the
insides of an operating system again.
Hence the failure of these people to know anything about an OS.

On 08/02/07, paul at ma1.se <paul at ma1.se> wrote:
> Iain Gray wrote:
> > No, all comments seemed well intentioned enough and you are absolutely
> > right about exposing oneself to the extremely strict employment laws.
> >
> > The thing is - what I'd really like to say is:
> > "Hey anyone will do - just be a bit competent"
> >
> > After weeks and weeks of rejecting candidates sent by agencies I put
> > together 3 questions that I wanted the agency to ask the candidate and
> > then if they got 2 right then I would be interested in telephone
> > interviewing the candidate. Obviously they also had to have some shell
> > scripting and some PL/SQL.
> >
> > According to 3 BIG agencies in London, after 4 weeks and over 100
> > candidates, none of them have got 2 out of 3 on these questions.
> >
> > Here they are. See if you can pass this most fiendish of tests:
> >
> > 1. What port does DNS run on and what protocol does it use?
> > 2. How do you find out the capacity and percentage in use of all
> > filesystems mounted?
> > 3. How do you find out the disk usage of a directory?
> >
> > Sigh
>

> Hey I got those right. Now I know who to tap for a job!

The offer still is open.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk