[Gllug] [OT] Fighting a virus

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Fri Feb 16 16:20:11 UTC 2007

I have always felt that 'rationing' a scarce resource by pricing is manifestly
unfair.   The rich will always continue to consume at the same rate whilst the
poor suffer.   In relation to road pricing, I suspect that most of people's
mileage is 'essential'  (like getting to work), so road pricing will most likely
be just another Gordon Brown cash cow.
The governments 'green' policy in my view is just a cynical method of cashing in
on enviromental concerns:
1) a fiver on a plane seat to Majorca is hardly going to stop anyone going on
holiday  -t it just raises lots of loot for the treasury
2) doubling the parking charge for 'chelsea tractors' will not cause a mass
sale of the things by those who already have them

If the government really felt that 'gas guzzlers' were an ecological disaster
in the making then it would logically ban the things form being sold in the
first place.

Tim