[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Feb 22 06:32:01 UTC 2007

David Damerell wrote:
> On Wednesday, 21 Feb 2007, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
>> Christopher Hunter wrote:
>> Don't forget you pay VAT on a lot of your outgoings as well, which
>> whacks that figure straight up to 70%.
>
> Of course, if creative accounting isn't enough, you can just use plain
> old innumeracy. If John's 53% is right (and it assumes I'm a
> contractor payments for whose services are subject to VAT, which I'm
> not),

No, it doesn't assume you're a contractor, although that's a handy way
of looking at it in order to understand the calculation.

Although it's possible that the work you do is not subject to VAT on
delivery of whatever service it is to a consumer (e.g. you're a
book-binder) the modal case is that it is subject to VAT so it makes
sense to include it.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk