[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Feb 22 07:46:50 UTC 2007

On 21 Feb 2007, David Damerell said:

> On Wednesday, 21 Feb 2007, Christopher Hunter wrote:
>>It'll soon be time to go - many people I know have decided to go too.
>>This country has no rapidly rising crime, collapsing infrastructure,
>>fundamentally corrupt government, and penurious taxation.  I'll take my
>>easily exported skills elsewhere.  I think I've more than paid for my
>>education by now!
>
> "Rapidly rising crime", eh? We may need the proctologist again.

Well, *fear* of crime is rising, largely thanks to certain media
entities. Actual reported crime stats are falling but there's definitely
some numbers-gaming going on there.

Nonetheless the UK has not collapsed into a whirlpool of deprivation and
crime (random ten-year one-person informal example: I used to live in a
deprived area well-known for crime and intermittent riots, Southall:
impact of crime on my life over five years there, nil; in the five years
before that I lived in the well-known deprived area of St. Albans and a
neighbour was burgled).

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names