[Gllug] Linux on Desktop

Thomi Richards thomir at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 18:30:06 UTC 2007

On 2/5/07, Pete Ryland <pdr at pdr.cx> wrote:
> On 04/02/07, Anthony Newman <anthony.newman at ossified.net> wrote:
> > /me blames the hardware
>
> I got a blue screen from a Windows box just the other day.

<snip>

While we're talking about stability... My *Linux* box crashed twice
today, and my windows box once - I'm no claiming that this is a
representative sample, but from what people are saying, it seems like
most people are complaining about a crash "every now and then", as
opposed to "five or more crashes a day", which is what I remember
windows 95 being like.

Over all, I'd say that windows XP is roughly as stable as my Kubuntu
installation. One saving feature of Linux is that you can recover from
most crashes more easily (how many times have I seen that stupid KDE
backtrace window, then ignored it?).

Cheers,
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk