[Gllug] Linux on Desktop

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Wed Feb 7 21:57:35 UTC 2007

Thomi Richards wrote:
> On 2/5/07, Pete Ryland <pdr at pdr.cx> wrote:
>> On 04/02/07, Anthony Newman <anthony.newman at ossified.net> wrote:
>> > /me blames the hardware
>>
>> I got a blue screen from a Windows box just the other day.
>
> <snip>
>
> While we're talking about stability... My *Linux* box crashed twice
> today, and my windows box once - I'm no claiming that this is a
> representative sample, but...

Now I may be just fussing over semantics here but what do you mean by crash?

To me having an OS crash is where the entire computer is rendered
unusable. I have rarely had that experience with GNU/Linux but have
frequently had applications crash, resulting in the rest of the OS
running fine. Once or twice recently I had Iceweasel bring KDE down with
it (but then I am running unstable so I'm not complaining) but even then
I simply restarted X and all was fine and dandy.

With Windows on the other hand I have frequently had situations where an
application has failed and brought the entire OS down with it.

Ryan
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk