[Gllug] [Appallingly OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Tue Feb 20 15:18:06 UTC 2007

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, paul at ma1.se wrote:

> I've been reading one of the ISP Boards, and the arguments are
> remarkably similar to the road pricing row.
>
> One ISP is throwing more Central Pipes at the P2P problem, other users
> would just like low latency and good ping times and want the heavy P2P's
> stuck on a "sin bin pipe" and traffic managed accordingly.

I have a good amount of experience with this issue.

There are 2 requirement sets from customers - reliably high speed and low
latency.

Once you attract even a small number of heavy users you have to start
finding ways to manage demand.

In my case, as I resell Enta products, the answer has been lots more
central capacity and a system to reduce speeds incrementally as necessary
is demand exceeds a certain level but with a lower floor of 2Mb which
generally ensures there is no latency problem and only a few people
experience a significant reduction in speeds even at busy times.

Much as with many road traffic management systems (except that there isn't
much investment in new capacity).

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98