[Gllug] Getting Debian Etch to run on an old (EPIA 800) Mini-ITX

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 16 00:50:56 UTC 2007

On Thu 15 Feb, Nix wrote:
> On 14 Feb 2007, John Winters stated:
>
> > I'm looking for pointers about what might stop Debian Etch (kernel
> > 2.6.18) from booting correctly on an old Mini-ITX motherboard.
> >
> > This system has been running Sarge very happily for quite a while, and
> > still net-boots very happily with a 2.6.8 kernel and runs reliably.
> > It also manages to complete the Etch installation process (again
> > started from a net-boot - it has no floppy or CD drive) but once the
> > Etch installation has completed the system then fails whilst trying to
> > boot up the new installation.  It gets as far as "Waiting for /dev to
> > be fully populated" and then re-boots.
>
> This looks like the installation program is using a version of udev (or
> similar /sys-walking tool) that is too old for the kernel it's running
> against. I know I had panics when I managed to fail to populate /dev
> with /dev/console and /dev/null while booting (obviously init fell
> over shortly afterwards, and then instant panic).

   The debian installer team are waiting for the final release version of
the kernel, and there have been several recent updates which require new
installer versions. RC1 will not work now, try one of the recent "daily"
installer images. RC2, and then the final release, will be made available as
soon as the kernel development team are happy with the kernel.

--
Chris Bell