[Gllug] Partioning advice needed

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Fri Feb 16 00:18:19 UTC 2007

On 15/02/07, Dan Kolb <gllug at eco.li> wrote:
> I can't comment about sd2, but you do need sda3. As a relic of the good ol'
> days of DOS, you can have up to four primary partitions, everything else would
> have to live in an extended partition. DOS' fdisk would only allow you to
> create one primary and one extended partition, which would be split into
> various logical drives.

Actually, this is one that we can't blame MS for.  It's the BIOS that
traditionally uses the partition table, and they only provided room
for four entries.

The "extended partition" is treated as another disk, and holds a
partition table of its own, capable of holding four entries too, but
usually the disks are set up as a chain of extended partitions, even
though this isn't exposed as such, wasting a (logical) cylinder per
partition!

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk