[Gllug] Linux on Desktop

Jason Johns jasonjjohns at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 20:42:30 UTC 2007

I reckon it's fair to say that organisations operate a variety of policies
and some of these polices contain grey areas.

When I decided to dualboot my work laptop, the company we use for our techie
stuff reported me. They claimed that it was a security risk :-) The
complaint didn't get far though!

I'd actually like to switch to Ubuntu entirely but haven't quite been able
to get either of my two escape plans (1 - running powerpoint on wine and, 2
- running a VM off my current Windows partitions) to work.

Juergen demonstrates an interesting point though. Most people's bosses are
pro-windows because it's the 'safe' option. if something goes wrong or if
the job doesn't get done then nobody will be blamed for not Windows.

The earlier posts in this thread re: OO and Beyrl reminded me that I can't
get the two to run together. OO always crashes spectacularly when I try to
use it with Beyrl. I generally avoid OO anyway because it's so resource
hungry - AbiWord and that spreadsheet package whose name escapes me are a
lot faster - shame there's no alternative office suite :-(

Have a nice weekend folks

ta