[Gllug] Linux on Desktop

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Mon Feb 5 17:01:50 UTC 2007

On 04/02/07, Anthony Newman <anthony.newman at ossified.net> wrote:
> /me blames the hardware

I got a blue screen from a Windows box just the other day.  It's still
got the factory provided install, although I put a Linux drive in for
dual booting.  I hadn't used Windows on it for months, then on the
weekend wanted to use it to log into work but after booting it was
stuck in 800x600, dozens of things were popping up telling me that my
warranty was up, asking me to update Norton this and that and finding
new hardware which was the same as it's always had (!) and msn and
such, and after a few requested reboots (!!) it still wasn't in full
resolution.  So I went to the video properties and tried to up it and
got the dreaded BSoD.  Never again I tell you, never again.  The same
box has been running Linux since we got it with the only fault being
that when the neighbours use their microwave, the mythtv video gets a
bit degraded over the wireless lan.

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk