[Gllug] New Linux user here ^^

Mark Williams mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Feb 26 13:39:34 UTC 2007

On Monday 26 Feb 2007 12:57, David Damerell wrote:
> On Sunday, 25 Feb 2007, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> >John G Walker wrote:
> >>Maybe you've changed your mind in retrospect?
> >
> >My only point is that, for the large part,  open source produced
> >interfaces _suck_.   That's it.
>
> And what you're missing is that a friendly interface that can never do
> what you want sucks harder.

One of my major M$ beefs is that you can't ever FIND the damn menu option; yes
it's easy when you've got it, but up until then... Also, try & find the
'change of mind here' button; that definitely won't be where the command to
do it was! And having 5 menu options that *might* be the one you want....

Yes this is a <GUI in general> fault, and I can say the same of KDE, Gnome,
whatever - but at least we have an option, whereas M$ users don't.

I sent them [M$] a screen shot of 2 wizards on 1 screen once; 'Please install
card x' & 'card x can't be installed because it already is'. No reply, & no
way out bar rip it all down & try again. No --force option :(

Mark