[Gllug] New Linux user here ^^

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Feb 25 22:01:56 UTC 2007

On 24 Feb 2007, Martin A. Brooks verbalised:

> Nix wrote:
>> # GLLUG mailing list and announcement list funnelled into esperi.list-in.gllug
>> :0 H:
>> | $FORMAIL -b -t -d -I "From " -I Newsgroups: -R Received: X-Gateway-Received: -i NNTP-Posting-Host: -i X-Trace: -i X-Complaints-To: -s $INEWS -h -S -O -R -n esperi.list-in.gllug
>
> And we wonder why open source software gets so much stick for unuserfriendlyness.

There are probably many more user-friendly ways to write that, but I
wrote it eleven years or so ago and never revised it in the light of new
tools.

And everyone knows procmail is somewhere near sendmail for ludicrously
arcane syntax and insane power. The difference is that sendmail's power
is mostly unnecessary and so it can be profitably replaced with other
MTAs with much more user-friendliness: I've *never* found a replacement
for procmail worth looking at. I looked at sieve for about ten minutes
but it seems to be missing an awful lot that you can do easily with
procmail...

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names