[Gllug] Re: Linux on desktop

Peter Ball CFL at marguet-ball.net
Sun Feb 4 10:49:07 UTC 2007

On 3 Feb 2007 at 21:40, Christopher Currie wrote:

> On  Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:50:10 +0000 Tethys <sta296 at astradyne.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > Besides which, I haven't heard many claims that people are using
> > Windows on the desktop. What I've heard is a lot of criticism about
> > someone installing Linux on a company machine against the wishes of
> > that company. Seems fair to me. Yes, *some* companies will be OK
> > with that if you can demonstrate sufficient ability to perform your
> > normal work.
>
> I face a company policy which forbids installation of any software on the PCs,
> which of course run Windows (now XP rather than 98...)
>
> I  have a fairly desperate need to run multiple desktops because of the nature
> of my work: i wickedly set up Virtual Dimension after reading a favourable
> review of it from a KDE user. It substantially improves my productivity. But
> if non-techie bosses were to notice it, I'd be in trouble. (The successive
> tech companies' network managers know what I do and so far have been happy
> with it; so I try not to abuse their confidence or push my luck).
>
>  I need to run OoO sometimes because people occasionally send us .odt
> or .sxw/.sdw files by email and M$ Office of course won't read them. I also
> need to run Firefox occasionally to test people's grumbles about our website.
> But installing either would be very noticeable and a clear breach of &c.
>
> So I've looked at stuff that will run off a USB stick, both Windows and Linux.

http://portableapps.com/ will do almost everything incl Firefox, Open Office, the Gimp
& much else besides,  will all run off usb stick, no installation, practically no registry
changes bundled suit or mix and match your own.  All stuff XP most also 98.  All stuff on
the portableapps site is tweaked to minimize footprint on host pc. I practically live of a 4GB
stick.

Best Wishes
Peter Ball
Computers For Linguists
peter.ball at marguet-ball.net
Tel:    +44(0)20 7732 1741
Fax:    +44(0)20 7358 9214
Mobile: +44(0)77 1968 2913
45 Endwell Road, London, SE4 2PQ, United Kingdom