[Gllug] Automatic module loading

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 15:29:08 UTC 2007

It's been a while since I last looked at this, and it's all changed
since then. How can I get the kernel to automatically load a module
when it needs it? At the moment, I get:

mrburns:~# ip tunnel add foo mode gre local 1.1.1.1 remote 2.2.2.2
ioctl: No such device
mrburns:~# modprobe ip_gre
mrburns:~# ip tunnel add foo mode gre local 1.1.1.1 remote 2.2.2.2

I'd rather the first attempt to create the tunnel just automatically
loaded the ip_gre module for me. My kernels have CONFIG_KMOD=y. I'm
guessing it's something that needs to go in modprobe.conf, but what?
Any ideas?

My Google-fu hasn't come up with anything, and the Loadable Kernel
Module HOWTO isn't particularly helpful on that front.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk