[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Feb 22 06:25:53 UTC 2007

Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> Christopher Hunter wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 21:03 +0000, John Winters wrote:
>>
>>> To make that completely clear - if I do a bit of work for you, and the
>>> work is subject to all the usual tax charges (VAT, both slices of NI,
>>> and Income Tax at 23%) then for each pound which you hand over, the
>>> government gets 52/53p and I get 47/48p.  The reason we have so many
>>> different kinds of tax is to disguise quite what a large chunk the
>>> government is taking.
>> When you tot up all the taxes you pay one way or another, the figure is
>> way over the 53% you quote.  Even at 53%, it's obscene!  At only 53%
>> you're working well into June each year before you see anything for
>> yourself.
>
> Don't forget you pay VAT on a lot of your outgoings as well, which
> whacks that figure straight up to 70%.

Err, no.  You'll notice I included VAT on the income side.  You can't
count it again on the outgoings side and come up with any sort of
meaningful figure.

I agree however that the figure of 53% is obscene.  When I'm supreme
controller of the universe I will impose an absolute limit of 25% on all
government taxation - calculated cumulatively.

Cheers,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk