[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Feb 19 23:58:49 UTC 2007

On 19 Feb 2007, John G. Walker said:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 21:43:22 +0000 Tethys <sta296 at astradyne.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> John G Walker writes:
>> >I remember the first Monday the congestion charge was introduced. I
>> >couldn't recall such clear air in central London.
>> I'm afraid I can only conclude that to be psychosomatic. I was working
>> in the middle of the West End at the time, and I noticed no difference
>> whatsoever, nor did any of my colleagues. There was a definite feeling
>> of "oh, so that was all a waste of time, then" from everyone.
>
> Not psychosomatic, although the middle of the West End may have been
> different. But around Aldwych and the Strand the absence of traffic was
> almost eerie. Okay, it's gone back up again, but nothing like to what
> it was before,

I noted the same effect at the same time in the Old Street area. St Paul's
is also rather quieter than it used to be (or at least it would be if it
hadn't turned into a hell of construction and demolition).

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names