[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

paul at ma1.se paul at ma1.se
Mon Feb 19 01:48:32 UTC 2007

Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-02-18 at 23:13 +0000, John G Walker wrote:
>
>> Those who work in the countryside - as opposed to those who employ them
>> - need cars just to be able to commute to work. The days of the
>> countryside full of agricultural workers on bicycles is long gone.
>> Now they have to battle through urban traffic jams in order to get to
>> work. It's not clear to me how road pricing will help them,
>

> The "automated number plate recognition" simply doesn't work (and cannot
> work with the chosen technology), and relies on innumerable lowly paid
> operatives monitoring CCTV screens!
>
> Imagine this mess expanded to the whole country!

Insurance companies such as Norwich Union are already introducing GPS
based tracking systems for their PAYG Car Insurance Schemes. No
petitions to the PM! No black helicopter or tin foil hat alerts!

http://www.silicon.com/financialservices/0,3800010322,39163020,00.htm

Drivers (especially young ones) can save money by not driving a
statistically peak period accident times.

During the trial period NU logged over "42 million miles." However these
were logged over "10 million journeys" which suggests an average journey
of 4 miles (I think in London the average journey is around 7 miles).

Its these short journeys where car usage should be particularly
discouraged (except for the disabled or elderly of course) but I suspect
as little as a mile is too much for many on foot or bike.

regards

Paul Lee

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk