[Gllug] Linux on Desktop

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Feb 4 21:03:58 UTC 2007

On 3 Feb 2007, Tethys said:
>              But many won't. And in this case, the person in question
> obviously hasn't demonstrated that ability, because his boss in angry
> with him.

That doesn't necessarily follow. I had my boss angry with me for using
Unix once when using Unix was my *job*.

(This was the same person who, shortly afterwards, tried to stop me from
using Emacs because `vi is the standard' --- Solaris vi, not vim --- and
who insisted on us filling out a two-page form whenever we compiled
anything. I'm afraid my heavy use of DejaGNU and other automated testing
tools that compile things like billy-o had him deluged in paper in no
time.)

(I left shortly afterwards. It was that or go insane.)

(But that's an interesting question. It's obviously illegitimate for
someone to dictate what text editor you use, right? So why is it
considered legitimate for them to dictate what operating system you use,
as long as you can still get your job done?)

--
`Toronto, around that point, was unseasonably warm, to the extent that
 the Prime Minister sacked the existing Environment Minister and gave