[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Feb 19 23:56:44 UTC 2007

On 19 Feb 2007, Tethys spake thusly:
> John G Walker writes:
>
>>The purpose of the congestion charge is to reduce pollution in
>>central London, and this it has done (or so my lungs tell me).
>>It's got nothing to do with revenue.
>
> I've noticed no difference, personally.

Walking in central London every day for years, I've noticed a
significant improvement: before the congestion charge I had to carry an
asthma inhaler with me, for instance: even though my asthma is
vanishingly mild under normal circumstances it was often triggered by
the miasma in the air. Post-congestion-charge, I've not needed it at
all, and while the air is still not exactly *clean* it's not actively
disgusting anymore.

> those who believes that our public transport network (in London, at
> least) is pretty good, and I'm not about to bash it. But I definitely
> don't think it's got any better since the introduction of the congestion
> charge, and indeed, I've seen it deteriorate in some areas.

Oh yes, the Tube became even more clogged and horrible. I'd rather walk
for an hour than take the Tube now.

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names