[Gllug] mepis (now Ubuntu) wireless error

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 16 13:29:41 UTC 2007

co at byintelligentdesign.co.uk wrote:
> Hi Caroline,
> My version of Ubuntu is Edgy apparently. Anyway I tryed to use synapse
> to install the package from the disk - it didn't like it. I tryed to
> download it (build-essential_11.3_i386.deb) but same effect.
>
> According to synapse3 its not in my packages and:
>
> Package: build-essential

> (Install Package button is greyed out)
>
> v 11.1
>
> informational list of build-essential packages
> If you do not plan to build Debian packages, you don't need this package.
> Moreover this package is not required for building Debian packages.
> This package contains an informational list of packages which are
> considered essential for building Debian packages.
> This package also depends on the packages on that list, to make it
> easy to have the build-essential packages installed.
> If you have this package installed, you only need to install whatever
> a package specifies as its build-time dependencies to build the package.
> Conversely, if you are determining what your package needs to
> build-depend on, you can always leave out the packages this package
> depends on.
> This package is NOT the definition of what packages are
> build-essential; the real definition is in the Debian Policy Manual.
> This package contains merely an informational list, which is all most
> people need.
> However, if this package and the manual disagree, the manual is correct.
>
> included files:
> ./
> usr/
> usr/share/
> usr/share/build-essential/
> usr/share/build-essential/list
> usr/share/build-essential/essential-packages-list
> usr/share/doc/
> usr/share/doc/build-essential/
> usr/share/doc/build-essential/AUTHORS
> usr/share/doc/build-essential/copyright
> usr/share/doc/build-essential/changelog.gz
> usr/share/doc/build-essential/list
> usr/share/doc/build-essential/essential-packages-list

It's really annoying when it does this.. You need to install libc6-dev
first (it's also on the cd). Build-essential will then complain about a
missing dependency again - you then need to install the thing it
complain about - and so on until it installs. Some of the things it
complains about will also complain and you'll need their dependencies too.

I hate installing dependencies manually - at least you are lucky in that
yours are all on the cd..

If you are feeling up to it (this is from memory and may be wrong) you
have a file in etc/apt (I think) called sources.lst You can try making
sure the entry for the cd is at the top - above the entries for
arhive.ubuntu.com etc.

Fixing broken networking is always entertaining when the fix is online  ;)

Caroline

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk