[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Tue Feb 20 16:23:44 UTC 2007

On 19/02/07, Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:
> Buses are OK for short journeys or for those who have more time on their
> hands than they know what to do with but otherwise they are an expensive
> waste of time.

Martina and I live in Bermondsey, she works in Aldgate and I work near
St Paul's.  Google says her journey is 2.0 mi (about 4 mins) and mine
is 2.1 mi (about 7 mins) (gotta love Google's time estimates around
town!).  She gets the 78 bus most of the time, £2 each way and it
takes between 40mins and 1hour (mostly stuck in traffic on the border
of the congestion zone over Tower Bridge, and can take even longer
sometimes)!  I ride a scooter and it take me between 5 and 10 minutes,
or 15mins if I give her a lift.

For me, there's really no public transport option, although it's only
about 35-40mins to walk (my flatmate, Rob, walks to the building
across the street).  South-east and east London are not serviced very
well by public transport, although that picture is changing.

Anyway, there's really no comparison between bus and scooter.  Tax is
only £15/yr, running costs are about £3 per week!  The only problem is
the risk involved.

Of course, I also have a 2.5L estate which costs me an arm and a leg
in upkeep, but since I got the scooter I hardly use it, just for
shopping, visiting mates, going places in the evening and the
occasional weekend away.  So for me, I say bring it on, I'd be in the
low road usage category! ;-)

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk