[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 19 01:39:34 UTC 2007

Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> That would be true only if the public transport infrastructure was up to
> scratch. As it is there are many areas of the UK where a car is the only
> viable form of transport. Furthermore, public transport in off peak
> hours is often sporadic, poorly staffed, and particularly for women
> alone can entail a degree of personal risk that makes it unacceptable.

As a woman alone I use London public transport at all hours. It's fine
(really).

I use buses and since the congestion charge was introduced it no longer
takes over an hour to get across central London.

Unlike the suffering, protesting rich of Chelsea I cannot afford to
drive. I cannot even afford driving lessons.
> Central government spent around £1.8 billion on consultancy in 2005-06,
> according to new figures published today by the National Audit Office.
> Total public sector spending on consultants is estimated at around £2.8
> billion for 2005-06.

The current lot are dreadful (and so are the opposition). However what
this has to do with taxation in general is another question. Thankfully
we cannot choose to only fund popular causes with taxation. If we could
we'd been even more of a "Daily Mail Island" than we are at present, and
everyone else would have left (myself included).

Caroline

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk