[Gllug] Linux on Desktop

Christopher Mocock chris at wavestore.com
Thu Feb 1 13:57:30 UTC 2007

Juergen Schinker wrote:
> "what can i do better with linux (on the Desktop)in my working life/day"

I find tomboy notes very useful these days. If I find a bug in our
software and I don't have time to investigate and document it
immediately, I just jot it down in a note.

I have a separate note for Bugs, Todo, Feature Requests, and various
other things. When I have time, I go back to the notes, do the
investigation properly, then delete the note. I find it's made me much
better organised.

Another good thing about linux, or gnome in particular, is that nautilus
stores the details of lots of servers including passwords, keys etc..
(well gnome-keyring stores this but nautilus and gnome-keyring play
happily together) so you can browse servers' directory listings using
the gui which is actually using ssh and scp transparently. Saves having
to type in passwords or long scp commands, and makes it easier to
manager large numbers of servers. The protocol transparency is great
because you can have servers connecting over DAV, FTP, SSH, and move
files around between them without needing to be aware of the different
protocols which are being used behind the scenes.

They are two of the things that have increased my productivity since I
made the switch to Linux on the desktop at work about 4 months ago.

Cheers, Chris.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk