[Gllug] Linux on Desktop

Jasper Steenkamp jsteenkamp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 13:25:26 UTC 2007

> I think Martin's reply is absolutely on-topic. It answers the questions
> posed extremely well and succinctly.
>
> > On topic
> > http://www.remarc.co.uk/remarcnews/May05/linuxmigration.aspx
> >
> This is off-topic. The link points to a generalised discussion about
> migration from windows to linux. Juergen's question, however, does not
> concern migration. It concerns using an unauthorised linux desktop in a
> windows environment. A different topic altogether,
>
> --
>  All the best,
>  John
>

> --

Another plus for the basic Linux desktop is having multiple virtual desktops.
(not sure if this has already been said)
At some point I have used 7 desktops, where browser/mail stuff was on
the first desktop, vim-perl on the second, database terminals on the
third one etc.

It helps you to be more organized and saves you from alt-tabbing your
fingers away.

You can also have shortcut keys for everything, with one combination
you can open up
a terminal tailing a log etc. You can do things that save time.

John->get("a grip")

--

Q:	How many journalists does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A:	Three.  One to report it as an inspired government program to bring
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk