[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Tue Feb 20 10:15:00 UTC 2007

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 09:08:29PM +0000, John G Walker wrote:
>> A colleague takes the bus to work. Before the congestion charge was
>> introduced, it took her an hour to get in. Now it takes twenty minutes.
>> See  also my post on my experiences with the 27 bus this morning,
>
> That's great.  Maybe we should make government policy based on the
> experience of someone's colleague I heard about on a mailing list.
>
> In fact, TfL have admitted that congestion has dropped by just 8%
> [source: http://www.economist.com/world/britain/displaystory.cfm?story_id=8706352]
> and they think it may get worse with the zone being expanded.

I heard this 8% figure on the radio. Does anyone have a reference that
would tell me:
1. What measure of congestion has dropped 8% - is this number of cars,
amount of time spent travelling at less than 10mph, what?
2. What was the predicted change in congestion in the same period?

I hate it when they give context-less statistics, or worse when they
have two interviewees arguing over different sets of context-less
statistics.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd