[Gllug] Partioning advice needed

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Feb 20 11:16:08 UTC 2007

On 20 Feb 2007, Mike Brodbelt spake thusly:
> Nix wrote:
>> :) feel free to upgrade: the latest version on the linux-raid wiki
>> can handle non-RAIDed systems as well, and parses /etc/fstab to find
>> your root filesystem...
>
> Cool - now when I get a spare few hours, I might have a play :-)

It shouldn't be that hard: it took me less time than that to *write* it
:)

>> As far as I know GRUB can't handle RAID at all. LILO can handle RAID-1
>> and LVM (barely) but not both at once.
>
> Grub will boot from a RAID 1 /boot partition without a problem, and it's

Ah, it's improved, then. Last time I saw it (early last year) installing
it on a RAID-1 system so that it could boot from any drive required deep
and hideous wizardry.

>> GRUB is quite a disappointment to me: LILO is so cruddy in so many ways,
>> yet GRUB manages to come in worse in virtually every situation in which
>> I've actually needed a non-simpleton bootloader :(
>
> For me, GRUB's killer feature is the console - if your boot fails,

Yeah, that would have been a killer feature for me if it weren't that
knoppix CDs and the initramfs emergency boot shell provide enough
flexibility for me.

> you're not totally screwed. You can search for an alternate kernel
> image,

Do you really have so many images that you can't stick them all on
the menu?

> you're out of luck... It would be nice if it understood LVM though.
> Actually, it would be nice if x86 machines didn't have such cruddy
> pre-OS hardware, but that seems unlikely to change...

Hail LinuxBIOS and the newly freed OpenFirmware? :)

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names