[Gllug] Job Advert

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Thu Feb 8 12:39:15 UTC 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, t.clarke wrote:

> I am still puzzled by the huge 'over 65' allowance figure (though I note
> in the original post the age was quoated as 60 hence my query !!).
>
> My understanding is that the basic 'free pay' allowance given in the tax
> code remains the same.

Firstly the actual tax code is higher at £7550 as opposed to £5225 (based
upon 2007/2008 figures) plus there are a host of other age based
allowances which mean that a married man aged 65 can earn £13,345 (based
upon 2006/2007 figures) before paying a penny in income tax or NI while a
married man aged 64 earning the same amount will take home £206.94 less
per month on the same income.

This is purely age based - there is no other change.

Simple age discrimination.

Similarly older people get credits to help pay for heating, etc in winter
that are not available to people who are younger regardless of how little
they earn.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98