[Gllug] Partioning advice needed

Kostas Georgiou k.georgiou at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Feb 19 11:34:31 UTC 2007

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 01:53:40AM +0000, Anthony Newman wrote:

> Nix wrote:
>
> I've also seen no mention of parity scrubbing of RAID 4/5/6 arrays under
> Linux; anyone know if it's possible? I saw 500GB of data go down the pan
> last year because of an undetected disk error on a 14 disk RAID5 array.
> Which was nice.

echo check > /sys/block/md0/md/sync_action will do what you want I think,
I only run RAID 0/1 in md so I never checked it though.
Running regular check with smartmontools on the disks also helps.

> I probably should have mentioned that I was thinking "while both online
> and mounted" in the same thought, although I failed to mention that at
> any point. Resizing unmounted file systems is tantamount to recreating
> them, and thus cheating :)

You can increase the size online in ext3, decreasing the fs used to require
an unmount last time I checked but it might have changed now. My users only
ask for more disk space so it doesn't bother me.

Kostas