[Gllug] Partioning advice needed

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Feb 19 23:15:18 UTC 2007

On 19 Feb 2007, Kostas Georgiou verbalised:

> On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 01:53:40AM +0000, Anthony Newman wrote:
>
>> Nix wrote:
>>
>> I've also seen no mention of parity scrubbing of RAID 4/5/6 arrays under
>> Linux; anyone know if it's possible? I saw 500GB of data go down the pan
>> last year because of an undetected disk error on a 14 disk RAID5 array.
>> Which was nice.
>
> echo check > /sys/block/md0/md/sync_action will do what you want I think,
> I only run RAID 0/1 in md so I never checked it though.

It works flawlessly in kernels 2.6.18+, and with only one wart in 2.6.17
(it says `resyncing' in /proc/mdstat rather than `checking').

> Running regular check with smartmontools on the disks also helps.

Bah, use smartd so that smart errors get spotted at once :)

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names