[Gllug] New Linux user here ^^

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Feb 25 17:49:30 UTC 2007

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 17:34:00 +0000 "Martin A. Brooks"
<martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:

> John G Walker wrote:
> > Martin, if you think it's obvious that your reply wasn't relevant,
> > would it be too presumptuous of me to ask why you made it?
>
> Sorry, I don't understand the question.
>
> I pointed out that the recipe posted was one example of where open
> source solution failed to be comprehensible to a mere mortal user.
>
> I gave an example of how Microsoft would probably provide an
> equivalent feature.
>
> John then said "an easily comprehensible option which doesn't do what
> you want is *not* an advantage." which is entirely axiomatic.
>
> Did I miss a point somewhere?

I think the point is that your hypothetical MS option doesn't do what
is wanted.

My understanding of John's point is that we therefore have two options
presented to us:

One, by Nix, that does (after a bit of tweaking) what is required, but
is incomprehensible to mere mortals.

The second, from you, that is comprehensible but doesn't do what is
required.

John pointed out that, despite issues of comprehensibility, the first
option was better than the first (because it does what is required).
You replied that this was obvious, which seemed to me a bizarre
riposte. I therefore wondered why you'd made your post about the
hypothetical MS option.

Maybe you've changed your mind in retrospect?

--
 All the best,
 John