[Gllug] Linux on Desktop

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Feb 4 20:50:42 UTC 2007

On 1 Feb 2007, Martin A. Brooks said:

> Paul Rayner wrote:
>> 3) Time saved not dealing with security updates/crashes etc on your own machine
>
> It's been a long long time since I saw Windows XP crash by itself.

It happened to me last Friday.

> Windows XP these days is a remarkably stable operating system.

All versions of Windows have a visceral hatred of me, judging by their
utter instability when I'm around. XP is also also *dog* slow and
amazingly swappy: given that at 1Gb of RAM my work desktop has more
memory than any of my home machines, I'd expect it not to thrash to a
standstill when running only half a dozen things.

--
`Toronto, around that point, was unseasonably warm, to the extent that
 the Prime Minister sacked the existing Environment Minister and gave