[Gllug] Linux on Desktop

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Mon Feb 12 09:46:53 UTC 2007

Nix writes:

>Yeah. I wrote a small amount of stuff for the C64 in raw hex opcodes
>because it *had nothing else useful*, not because I wanted to

That's not strictly true. I had a proper assembler for the C64
(although I've long forgotten its name). The downside was that you
actually had to buy it as a separate product, load it in from tape,
and then start writing your code. The great thing about programming
on the Beeb, in contrast, was that it provided you with a built in
assembler, and an easy way to mix basic and assembly language, so
you could get going straight from power on with minimal fuss.

Tet