[Gllug] Linux on Desktop

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Feb 12 19:54:01 UTC 2007

On 12 Feb 2007, Tethys spake thusly:
> Nix writes:
>>Yeah. I wrote a small amount of stuff for the C64 in raw hex opcodes
>>because it *had nothing else useful*, not because I wanted to
>
> That's not strictly true. I had a proper assembler for the C64
> (although I've long forgotten its name). The downside was that you
> actually had to buy it as a separate product, load it in from tape,

Yeah, there were all sorts of things as add-ons. There was a very good
extended BASIC (which made BASIC actually *useful*) available as one
of the very few C64 cartridges as well.

> and then start writing your code. The great thing about programming
> on the Beeb, in contrast, was that it provided you with a built in
> assembler, and an easy way to mix basic and assembly language, so
> you could get going straight from power on with minimal fuss.

Quite so. Its hardware wasn't quite as nifty as the C64's, but the C64's
hardware might as well not have existed if you couldn't access it.

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names