[Gllug] Linux on Desktop

Dan Kolb gllug at eco.li
Mon Feb 12 11:43:55 UTC 2007

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 01:56:38AM +0000, damion.yates at gmail.com wrote:

> > > [snipped]
> > > consider yourself flamed from me
> > >
> > > Tet
> >
> > And of course many of the quotes referred to people using windows
> > *at work*, not in their own businesses or domestically. Unless you r
> > the decision maker you can't do a lot about work's windows desktops
>                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  This is the whole point!
>
> I'm suggesting that people /should/ do something about it, including
> spending time trying to become the decision maker.  If some CTO or

Please, feel free to apply for a job as VC of a university. Or, heck, even head
of department or of the IT service.

And then please find various GPIB control software for Linux which will easily
interface with the bits of measuring kit we've got. Preferably HP VEE, as
that's what we're currently using and would cause least disruption. Oh, and
also SEM image capture software (which requires a special card in the computer
to interface with the SEM). Not forgetting control software for the atomic
force microscope. I've seen gwyddion (http://gwyddion.net) which can do data
analysis, but doesn't seem to be able to control the microscope.

This also ignores the fact that a lot of journals and conference proceedings
want submissions in Word .doc format.

Dan
--
Nobody said computers were going to be polite.