[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Feb 23 05:29:02 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 00:09 +0000, David Damerell wrote:

> The last one won't happen to me because I don't break that particular
> law, a simple and straightforward remedy - and how exactly would that
> make me a victim of crime, anyway? It would make me a criminal.  Do
> you _not_ want criminals to be punished, all of a sudden?

Some of the locations of those speed cameras are criminal!  In some
instances, they're dangerous - like on the North Circular where foreign
drivers aren't sure of the limits and slam on their brakes when they see
them, or like Highgate Hill where a downhill speeding motorist will
cause an uphill driver to get a face full of photo flash!

> As for the first two, I've yet to see any actual evidence that they're
> any more likely today than they were ten years ago. Obviously they
> happen sometimes; that is not really a new fact.

You won't see any evidence because the real information isn't made
public.  If the real trends were revealed we might all get mildly
annoyed and write letters to the newspapers... (That, incidentally, is
my French friend's take on the way we protest!)

Chris