[Gllug] PNGs

Steven Goodwin steev at tuls.pauken.co.uk
Tue Feb 13 13:39:11 UTC 2007

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 03:51:54PM +0000, - Tethys wrote:
> I guess the question to ask is "what are you hoping to gain by using a
> filter"? Even on a mobile platform, space is unlikely to be at a
> sufficient premium that you'll get any significant benefit from doing
> so. An exception to this is for computer generated images. But since
> you've said you're using photographs, I'd say it's not worthwhile.

I'd say that reducing the memory footprint (by filtering an/or other
methods) is _especially_ on a mobile platform. Some phones have only 64K
for the code, and graphics. The techniques necessary to get a game (for
example) into this space are quite horrible from the software
engineering pov. e.g. putting all code into one class, since each class
definition adds 100+ bytes.