[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Feb 20 11:27:19 UTC 2007

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 11:11:31 +0000 (GMT) Jason Clifford
<jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:

> > > Again - **bus lanes** are not the same as congestion charging.
> > >
> > > With dedicated road access it is entirely natural that buses run
> > > closer to timetable.
> >
> > I didn't mention bus lanes. Where do you get this from?
>
> I didn't "get" them from anywhere. They are just there on the road -
> usually on the left and coloured so as to identify them clearly.
>
> Only buses, taxis and bikes are allowed in them during periods of
> operation hence buses now run without lengthy delays caused by
> congestion.

I am well aware of what bus lanes are. I meant, where did you get that
bus lanes had suddenly appeared over the same weekend as the congestion
charge was introduced? I didn't say that. The bus lanes on the Monday
were exactly the same as on the previous Friday. The change was due to
the congestion charge.

Clearly bus lanes also make a difference. But a moment's thought will
tell you that the introduction of bus lanes will also cause congestion
in the other lanes (same amount of traffic in a smaller space). So the
reduction of non-bus traffic by some means such as the congestion
charge is necessary to make bus lanes a success,

--
 All the best,
 John