[Gllug] Job Advert

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Feb 8 10:06:22 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 09:59:20AM +0000, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, t.clarke wrote:
>
> > where do you get those tax free allowance figures from ?
> >
> > I'd love a 13,000 a year tax-free allowance  :-)
>
> The total tax free allowances for a person aged 65-74 is 13345 on the
> standard allowance basis and 5035 for a person aged below 65.
>
> That's based upon various age based allowances and credits. The important
> thing is that they are specifically age based which seems to be clear
> discrimination on the basis of age alone.

Right or wrong this is what government does. Do as you are told, not as we tell you to do.

There are lots of other age related ''injustices'', eg: free dental care & prescriptions to kids.

What about the sex ones, eg: child benefit goes to the mother of the child ?
Some are being fixed, eg: difference in male/female retirement ages (which is good,
women live longer than men but can retire earlier).

An completely egalitaran society would mean a lot of changes, I suspect that some of
them I would not agree with (eg free medical care for kids).

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/