[Gllug] Testing PCI

Mark Williams mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Feb 14 08:26:43 UTC 2007

I mentioned yesterday that I was going to look at a friends (fairly new) PC.

Interestingly, this will run any flavour of Linux boot disk I tried; but not
Win XP install, which reports a PCI.SYS error (BSOD type!)

I checked lspci, and as many hardware listing tools as I could find; but it
struck me, I couldn't think of anything that would actually _test_ the PCI
bus. Having not found any errors (& it's not software, we blanked the drive &
tried XP pro & XP home disks), I'm stuck.

Linux advocacy failed on 'this is what we're used to', BTW, even though the
demo of it failing to fall down where M$ did was quite good.

Anyone know how to thoroughly test a Dell PCI bus?

Mark