[Gllug] TFT Monitors

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Tue Jan 9 22:36:52 UTC 2007

Nix wrote:
>> When I first got into Linux I used to lay awake at night fretting
>> over "xxxx.i386.rpm tainting kernel setting somethingorother flag" then it
>> came to pass that that error message is unimportant unless your a purist as
>> it has no effect what so ever on the kernel performance. :-)
>>

> Please tell me this is a troll, unless you consider `renders your kernel
> impossible to support; renders bugs impossible to fix; renders upgrades
> impossible shortly after the binary module vendor decides to stop working
> on the module' to be `no effect what so ever'.

Read as "renders this one single workstation unlikely to have the
ability to receive support from the open source community in general"
and move on.

There is nothing inherently evil about closed source, you use "closed
source" products every day, without a second thought, without even a
_first_ thought, and also without the righteous hoo-ha that surrounds
companies making a reasonable effort to support a, from any "reasonable"
business point of view,  pretty unreasonable bunch of people.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk