[Gllug] TFT Monitors

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Jan 11 00:46:35 UTC 2007

On 9 Jan 2007, Martin A. Brooks spake thusly:
> Nix wrote:
>> Please tell me this is a troll, unless you consider `renders your kernel
>> impossible to support; renders bugs impossible to fix; renders upgrades
>> impossible shortly after the binary module vendor decides to stop working
>> on the module' to be `no effect what so ever'.
>
> Read as "renders this one single workstation unlikely to have the
> ability to receive support from the open source community in general"
> and move on.

That's true until you have two of them, or until the company stops
maintaining the driver. Then you're dead.

> There is nothing inherently evil about closed source, you use "closed
> source" products every day, without a second thought, without even a
> _first_ thought,

I use stuff in embedded devices which I don't have the source to every
day, but then those devices also provide essentially no programmability
at all.

I consider it almost physically unpleasant and confining to have to use
programmable devices which aren't programmable all the way down to the
metal. (My only regret is that my current machines don't support
LinuxBIOS, so there's a bit of the system I can't hack at. The next ones
will.)

(This is partially an aesthetic thing on my part, I'll admit.)

>                  and also without the righteous hoo-ha that surrounds
> companies making a reasonable effort to support a, from any
> "reasonable" business point of view, pretty unreasonable bunch of
> people.

Yeah. We unreasonably expect to be able to program the programmable
devices we've purchased. How terrible.

--
`He accused the FSF of being "something of a hypocrit", which
 shows that he neither understands hypocrisy nor can spell.'