[Gllug] OSS Spam filtering, virus scanning email solutions

Matthew Thompson matt.thompson at actuality.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 11:58:23 UTC 2007

- Tethys wrote:
> So don't use them, then! Using externally managed block lists is just
> asking for trouble, anyway. They don't significantly help reduce spam
> over alternative methods, they block legitimate email, and you don't
> have any control over who gets added to the list.
For us they have quite a positive effect - the only down side is that we
have a few correspondents on shitty Russian networks who keep getting
assigned IP addresses scanned when in use by virus/trojan infected machines.

They drop enough connections to make the difference between being able
to handle the onslaught and needing to invest in a second mail filtering
server.

Back to the original request....

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk