[Gllug] OSS Spam filtering, virus scanning email solutions

Benedikt Heinen gllug at ml.icemark.net
Wed Jan 3 13:08:25 UTC 2007

Not a great solution, but you might be able to create a procmailrc to
handle all the spam stuff  (that's what I do, but I'm only doing this for
myself).

Write a procmail recipe for it and make this the default one for all
users (possibly added to everyone's home directory with no permissions
for them to alter it [i.e. make the recipe belong to root]).

That recipe could then, say,

   - first run the anti-virus software  (you'd likely want to do this for
     everyone anyway)
   - second, immediately put everything from your "known" correspondents
     into the user's mailbox.
   - third, run any mail so far not touched by the previous rules through
     your regular spam filtering.  (Any spam you find, either add to a
     "user" spam folder; or locally forward to a central spam mailbox).

If you want to add the possibility of the user doing his/her own
filtering, do an include for a user file at a "good" point in the file,
and create an empty rules file for that purpose, which the user can
edit himself.

This way, you can make sure that dodgy ISPs don't cause a problem (as the
spam filter will not even get to see email from your known
correspondents). It also makes sure, that email from your "known" senders
will always get through, even if they're forwarding something with a
"dodgy" text that might otherwise fall prey to bayesian filters.

As I said initially, not the nicest solution, but it should, at least, be
workable and possible to integrate with solutions you might have now.

Hope it helps...

Benedikt

   ALLIANCE, n.  In international politics, the union of two thieves who
     have their hands so deeply inserted in each other's pockets that
     they cannot separately plunder a third.
 			(Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary)