[Gllug] Re: Is it possible to get an Oyster card ...

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 11:44:15 UTC 2007

On 1/16/07, Holger Duerer <hduerer at gmx.net> wrote:

> For the really paranoid: They also store your trip details (I cannot
> remember if this was indefinite or just for a few years), so even if
> you top up with cash, given some information about your private and
> work life a sufficiently determined person will be able to identify
> your card from all the others.

They initially claimed it was in perpetuity. They since been forced to
amend that, and now claim it's only for 8 weeks for pay as you go
cards. IIRC, they still store season ticket details in perpetuity.
Incidentally, I don't view being concerned about this as particularly
paranoid. I can't see a valid reason for LUL to keep details of your
movements for more than a couple of months.

Sure, keep aggregate statistics about who goes where. But don't link
it to a name and address. That's just completely unnecessary.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk