[Gllug] Re: EU council streaming petition

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Mon Jan 1 22:34:07 UTC 2007

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007, Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> It's in a format I can view with an open source, GPLd piece of
> software.  I can convert it to a format deemed more convenient if I
> like.  It's a non-issue, it slashdot-like whining about perceived
> rebukes to openness.  Get over it.

You don't usually loose freedoms all in one go. They are eroded by degree
which is why it is important to defend on seemingly unimportant matters as
well as obviously important ones.

Which GPL software includes legal codecs able to read WMV and other
proprietary encoded data?

Are you sure that the use of such software does not violate the anti
circumvention laws in arising from EUCD?

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98